Wednesday 2 March 2011

Rain and religion


So I hope these topics are not too heavy for you. It just seems that they have both been important themes in my little sphere recently. The town here is a big cultural and religious melting pot and recently I have been asking around to discover what people believe and how that affects their way of living. To put this into some kind of perspective for those of you who don’t know my personal opinions on religion they fall very much into the category of rather relaxed, but certainly not disinterested. I have been trying to write this entry for about a week because it sort of seemed important. I hope it has not ended up as too much of me talking nonsense. In the end you will have to decide that for yourselves.

Since arriving in India I have spent time talking to people of Hindu faith, Christians (including south Indian Roman Catholics of which there are many), Muslims, people from mixed faith cultural backgrounds and people with very little or no religious beliefs. My patient population itself is from as wide ranging a selection with the addition of the less structured tribal religions. These can vary from being just a branch of Hinduism to something altogether different involving primarily the worship of nature and the forest itself.

So why do I have this sudden interest in Religion? I think it’s partly just me being naturally inquisitive (or nosy to be more accurate). I would like to learn a little more about the belief systems that were not part of my upbringing. Another part of this whole process is purely that I like the stories that go along with religion and I want to hear more.  Also I want to try and understand a bit better the way in which faith and culture might influence the way in which my patients and their families make decisions about their health and medical care. I also like the way religion is a topic which sparks debate, as long as that debate is a friendly and open minded discussion.

It seemed quite fitting that after a week of being slightly preoccupied by religion and wet weather I should decide to take an evening walk up the hill at the edge of town. At the top of the hill is a Catholic church, a Hindu temple and a Mosque. I was walking with three of my friends from the hospital, two of whom are catholic. We should have known to expect precipitation, at the beginning of the walk that the sky was not looking too appealing. The clouds were heavy and brooding, sitting possessively over the tops of the surrounding hills. As we reached the very top of the hill (where the Catholic Church is perched) the skies opened. Big fat drops of rain were coming thick and fast. The church door was open wide and a mass was taking place. It seemed the sensible thing to do to take shelter and I was keen to investigate. I have never seen a catholic mass and I have certainly never seen one in India. I slipped off my sandals at the door, leaving them with the neatly paired rows already congregated. Noting that most of the other women had their heads covered I pulled my shawl up over my damp hair and I stepped inside.

The inside of the church was overwhelming. Like many temples in India it was a riot of colour, all in rather unnatural neon shades. The life-size statue of Jesus above the Altar was wreathed in bright red fairy lights and the walls were painted with murals depicting rolling green pastures. The mass was all conducted in Tamil so to be honest I didn’t understand much but it was a really unique experience, made all the more atmospheric by the thudding of the heavy rain on the roof above. I had been hoping for an opportunity to visit the church at the top of the hill and I was grateful for the weather creating an excuse to go inside. 

When the rain eased up and the congregation rose for communion we made our retreat.

 I have attached a picture for you of the church from the outside. I hope you find it as imposing as I did.

Anyway the rains have all dried up now and the blue skies are back and I have been far too busy to ponder for long on religion. Today I was back on the road doing outpatients clinic in the mountains and the coffee plants are all in flower. I will tell you about it properly in my next blog.

Love to you all,

A x

1 comment:

  1. You have to keep us updated with your findings about religion and treatment. x

    ReplyDelete